We often get caught up in denominations. We find ourselves saying “I’m an Anglican”, “I’m a Catholic”, “I’m Pentecostal”, yet we don’t realize how wrong we are and how we’re conforming to the wrong thing. I went through scripture as I had to understand what it means to be a CHRISTIAN and I have never been so enlightened. This post may explain some of the verses I’m going to share, but most are self-explanatory:
1) Philippians 2:9 – Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name (New International Version)
Jesus’ name is above EVERY name, EVERY denomination. Christ is above Catholicism, above the Church of England, above EVERY NAME. Anyway let’s move on…
2) Hebrews 12:2 – We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne (New Living Translation)
3) Hebrews 4:14 – So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe (New Living Translation)
Jesus is our High Priest. We are supposed to conform to Christ not any denomination as denominations are MAN MADE. We can attend Churches of certain denominations especially as there are few today that do not conform to a denomination but we have to know that we are there for CHRIST and not for anything else.
4) 1 Corinthians 2:16 – For, “Who can know the LORD’s thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?” But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ (New Living Translation)
5) Philippians 2:9 – Therefore, God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name (New International Version)
No denomination holds the highest name. You also cannot think that your denomination holds all the purity. Jesus Christ holds all the purity which we find in the truth of the gospel and therefore we should conform to Him only!
6) Galatians 1:15 – But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace. Then it pleased him to reveal his Son to me so that I would proclaim the Good News about Jesus to the Gentiles (New Living Translation)
You were chosen by God before you conformed to a denomination. God revealed his Son to you, not any denomination. Human beings revealed denominations to you.
7) Ephesians 2:14 – For Christ himself has brought peace to us. He united Jews and Gentiles into one people when, in his own body on the cross, he broke down the wall of hostility that separated us (New Living Translation)
This is the most important part of scripture to me with regards to this topic. Many people find that when they conform to a denomination they isolate people of other denominations. This may be through marriage i.e. “I can only marry an Anglican” or through general associations. But fact of the matter is what you are conforming to is NOT of Christ nor is it spoken of ANYWHERE in the Bible. Jesus UNITED and so should you.
8) Ephesians 3:19 – May you experience the love of Christ though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God (New Living Translation)
9) Ephesians 4:4-6 – For there is ONE BODY and ONE SPIRIT, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future. There is one Lord, one faith, ONE BAPTISM, and one God and Father, who is over all and in all and living through all. (New Living Translation)
In fact, lol, THIS is the most important scripture. The Bible states there is ONE BAPTISM. There are not several bodies. So what are we doing conforming to man made denominations when we should only conform to Christ?! There is ONE and that is CHRIST. Do not conform to anything or anyone but Christ. If you choose to however, never impose it on anyone else. it is not the truth of the gospel.
10) Ephesians 5: 25-26 – For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the Church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word (New Living Translation)
“Just as Christ loved the Church” – NOT as he loved ANY DENOMINATION.
11) 2 Corinthians 4:5 – You see, we don’t go around preaching about ourselves. We preach that Jesus Christ is Lord, and we ourselves are your servants for Jesus’ sake (New Living Translation)
Please, let us stop preaching what we created. Let us start preaching about CHRIST.
12) Ephesians 2:13 – But now you have been united with Christ Jesus. Once you were far away from God, but now you have been brought near to him through the blood of Christ (New Living Translation)
The Bible does not say you have been united with Pentecostal practices, Orthodox practices, Catholic practices, Anglican practices. It states that we have been united with CHRIST.
13) Colossians 1:16-18 – For through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see – such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him. He existed before anything else and he holds all creation together. Christ is also the head of the Church, which is his body. He is the beginning, supreme over all who rise from the dead. So he is first in everything (New Living Translation)
Okay, let’s break this down. Firstly “He existed before anything else” – He existed before ANY DENOMINATION. No denomination is the start, Christ is the only start. Secondly, “Christ is also the head of the Church” – NOT THE POPE. Need I say more? I’m sure you’re getting my drift at this point.
14) Colossians 2: 4-9 – I am telling you this so no one will deceive you with well-crafted arguments. For though I am far away from you, my heart is with you. And I rejoice that you are living as you should and that your faith in Christ is strong. And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down in to him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught and you will overflow with thankfulness. Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that comes from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. (New Living Translation)
Lol, I love the Bible. Never let anyone brainwash you about any denomination. You are to live through Christ and nothing else, even I didn’t realize this till today! God is so good.
15) Ephesians 3:8 – Though I am the least deserving of all God’s people, he graciously gave me the privilege of telling the Gentiles about the endless treasures available to them in Christ (New Living Translation)
This is how I feel today. I feel like God has given me a mission to tell people about the dangers of conforming to denominations. Everything is available through Christ.
There is no where in the Bible that says your allegiance is to any denomination. That is why we have to understand the purity of the gospel and understand the fact that all truths are in the gospel and no where else. Christ is our identity not any denomination. All denominations don’t exalt Christ which they should but their own denomination and place is above Christ and Christianity and it is wrong. If baptized, you are baptized to Christianity regardless of the Church you were baptized in so don’t get caught up in conforming to denominations!
On a lighter note, I asked my pastor today if he believed in Tongues and he said “Yes, bring yours and I will cut it out” LOL!