Laila Johnson-Salami is a global journalist and media personality, changing the narrative one conversation at a time. She is a Politics and International Relations Graduate from the University of Westminster, who spent early years of her career working with governments and non-governmental organisations on policy and sustainable development. Currently, Laila is a co-anchor on Arise News’ daily News Day show, a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation #GoalKeeper and a contributor to the Financial Times and Commonwealth Secretariat. Her consistent passion for sustainable development has birthed both her organisation, the We Rise Initiative and her company, Forth Strategies.
She has previously worked as a journalist at Nigeria Info FM and Africa Rizing and as a television host at Wazobia Max TV and Spice TV. Laila is also a registered voice over artist with DDB Worldwide Communications and anchors a podcast with Midas Radio at Aristokrat Records, called The Broken Record Podcast. She has also worked at the House of Commons for MP Chris Williamson, served as an ambassador to Girl Rising and co-hosted On the Couch with Falz and Laila.
As a host, moderator and speaker, Laila also covers events and panel sessions within and beyond Nigeria. Previous jobs in 2019 and 2020 include:
- Speaking at the BBC Komla Dumor Awards Launch 2019
- Hosting a panel session at the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos 2019
- Moderating and hosting events throughout Arise Fashion Week (including a panel session with Naomi Campbell) 2019
- Hosting the Restore Naija Digital Voting Summit 2019
- Hosting This Day Newspapers 25th anniversary 2020
- Moderating a panel session on African music in a hyper-connected world at Social Media Week 2020
- Hosting a digital conversation on mental health in partnership with Global Citizen and the WHO